Our organically grown Christmas Fern (also known as Polystichum acrostichoides) is versatile and evergreen and adds a bit of greenness during the dark winter days. It will stay green and lush all year around and thrives in shady areas with enough moisture.
- Name: Christmas Fern
- Scientific Name: Polystichum acrostichoides
- Appearance: The Christmas Fern is a lush, evergreen which stays green throughout the winter (hence ‘evergreen’).
- Color: The fronds of this fern maintain a deep, rich green color year-round.
- Environment: This fern thrives in shaded or partially shaded areas. It is often used in moss lawns and underneath trees.
- Soil Preference: This fern is adaptable to various soil types including clay to rocky soils. It prefers moist and well-drained conditions (similar to moss).
- Seasonal Interest: This fern will stay green all year around so when other plants die, this fern will keep some greenness in the garden.
- Wildlife Attraction: The dense foliage can offer shelter for small animals and insects and support local biodiversity.
- Water Requirements: It needs enough moisture to establish but it can deal with less it is firmly in place.
- Hardiness: This fern has an excellent cold tolerance and is therefore found in a wide range of climates.
- Propagation: This fern can be propagated through division.
- Benefits: The Christmas Fern offers benefits such as erosion control, low maintenance, and pest resistance and creates a sustainable garden ecosystem.
- Usage: This fern is mainly used for enhancing the beauty of shaded garden spaces, in moss lawns, around walkways and to keep gardens green in winter.